Sport in Society's Marathon Challenge

Follow Mark Harris and Meghan Mahoney as we train for the Boston Marathon to raise both support and awareness for Sport in Society, a Northeastern University Center.

Using sports and athletes as vehicles for change, Sport in Society's programs eliminate the inequalities that disenfranchise so many in our community. SIS programs focus on fostering diversity, eradicating gender and youth violence, and promoting healthy development through sport.

Sport in Society also aims to unite and sustain the passion of the diverse athletes and activists who believe that sport is a powerful platform for promoting equity and fairness. We hope you will join in the discussion by becoming a follower of our blog (CLICK THE LINK IN THE RIGHT SIDE BAR), posting comments to let us know what issues YOU are passionate about, getting your friends involved in the dialogue, and attending our many events to meet other passionate sport and social change leaders.


Sunday, February 22, 2009

13.4, 19.4, 15

To the right is a picture of Mark and Meghan with Olympic legends and Civil Rights activists Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the SIS True Heroes of Sport Awards Gala.

Two Weeks Ago:

I learned two weeks ago that I, just like everyone else in this world, need water when I run. I've always been pretty bad at keeping hydrated during long runs, using my inability to run and drink at the same time as an excuse. I learned the hard way a few weeks ago that no matter how much I try to convince myself that I'm fine without a lot of water stops, I need them just as much as anybody else. I was going away for the weekend, so I ran on Friday morning by myself. It was a gorgeously sunny day, but the wind was strong and I felt as if it was blowing against me no matter what direction I was headed. Wanting to get as far away from my regular running routes as possible in order to see new sites, I mapped out a route that took me out through West Roxbury and back through Brookline...with no water stops in between -- bad idea. The run was not completely terrible, but my body truly felt the toll of dehydration. Around 7-8 miles I ran through a few gorgeous cemeteries in West Roxbury and couldn't help joking to myself that, as bad as I felt, I at least was doing better than those around me. In seriousness, though, the cemeteries brought me an interesting sense of support and inspiration that day. I was definitely struggling without Mark and Suzanne's energy driving me forward, but I did find strength in the memory of friends (past and present) whose last names were written on many of the grave stones I passed. It's an odd sensation to write about, but I found real comfort in the memory and thoughts of inspirational friends. I definitely felt friendless, however, pushing through the last 5 or so miles...when the real headache and nausea set in from the lack of water. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I had no choice but to get back home if I wanted to find water, so I told my body to suck it up and just ran. It was among the most difficult of all runs yet, but as always, having pushed through the feelings of doubt and physical pain, it was that much more rewarding afterward.

Two weeks ago:



Last Week:

Last week was a very different story...on a bright, sunny, rather warm day, the three of us set out for what would be our longest yet - 18 miles. We all felt great and were happy to be together after a week of running on our own. That Friday we held a fundraiser for NEU staff and it was a wonderful energizer for us and a great chance for the three of us to be together without running. (Thanks to all those who came out to support us that night!). The run itself was also fantastic. I really wanted to be in Boston, so we picked a route that took us all the way downtown, down State Street, and up near the Garden. Generally, the only time I like to be downtown is early on a weekend day, when it is not the crowded, fast-paced place it is during the week (although sometimes I like to go downtown just to remind myself of why I appreciate working at Sport in Society, which at times may get hectic but always because we see our mission as so urgent). You realize just how small Boston really is when you try to map out a 18 mile running route...we got all the way across the city and had only gotten about 7 miles under our belts! While the usual crowds weren't downtown we did happen to run through a crowd of homeless individuals, being served a hot breakfast in Boston Common. Like our experience running through Copley a few weeks ago, it's a reminder of why I'm running this race. There are actually two main reasons why I'm running - the first is that I am a true believer in Sport in Society's mission and am amazed at how one small organization can make such a significant impact in the lives of so many individuals, whether we are providing Boston's youth wtih valuable opportunities to become physically active or take a stand against violence and discrimination, or whether we are educating adults as socially conscious leaders who can have an exponential impact on the youth and communities they interface with each day; the second reason is that I want to in some way inspire others who care deeply about creating a better world to become leaders in action themselves, in whatever way they can. For me, I'm an athlete, so I can use this opportunity to run and raise money for SIS; for those individuals in the Common, they have the time and ability to go out and provide food for Boston's disenfranchised once a week; what do you care about and what can you do? And I'm actually re-inspiring myself to do more. I've got a running list of things I am looking forward to doing post-marathon and at the top of the list is volunteering more regularly at Haley House , where I can use my other passion (FOOD) to strenghten my ability to understand and serve the community (make sure you check out the Haley House website and go visit the cafe!!!). Second on the list is having a glass of red wine! But, back to the run...it was great!! And, in all honesty, I was on a high ALL day. I originally thought I'd crash right away, but instead I wound up being hyperactive, chopping wood at Land's Sake Farm all day, soaking in a hot tub at Inman Oasis, having a superb dinner at Oleana Restaurant, and staying out until 2 a.m. listening to music! I honestly feel far better after running 20 miles than I do on the days I don't work out and feel groggy as a result!

Last week:




This Week:

This week was another "short" 13 mile run and I'm increasingly amazed at just how short they feel now! The morning started off rather dark, but it became an bright and beautiful day. It even warmed up enough for me to downsize to 3 layers half way through the run (I've been in 4 layers..at least...all winter)!! The most enjoyable part of the day, however, was breakfast at Sorella's, mainly because it is the first time Mark has actually had time to eat with us. Normally, we finish our runs and he has to dart home to shower and then go into work, since so much of his job involves interfacing with alumni at Northeastern's athletic events. I'm absolutely amazed and inspired by Mark. I'd like to complain that I am doing a lot and don't have much time to do much besides run, work and study for school, but Mark puts me to shame....having games to attend nearly every night on top of working full time and marathon training. And he does his job well...this past year NEU athletics quadrupled its fundraising dollars!! So, long story short, it was great that he had some extra time to kick back and enjoy some eggs and pancakes with us!

I will keep you all posted about our upcoming runs. In about two weeks we will be hitting our 20/22 mile mark and will be calling on volunteers to run our much needed water stops, so if you are interested please email me and let me know!

This week:

1 comment: